TODAY'S WORD FOR Thursday, August 02, 2018:
One who helps, consoles, or strengthens. One who instills confidence or assurance in another person.
You hear, O Lord, the desire of the afflicted; You encourage them and You listen to their cry.
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In His great mercy He has given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead and into an inheritance that can never parish, spoil or fade, kept in heaven for you. I Peter 3:4.
Discouragement comes to all of us from time to time. When we get discouraged we have a choice as believers. If we focus on our difficult circumstance and negative feelings we can easily be drawn into despair and depression. If we fix our eyes on Jesus in our time of discouragement, God will lift us up and set us free.
Our great encourager is God. A key element in overcoming discouragement is having a personal understanding of who God is and having a personal relationship with Him through Jesus Christ. Psalm 10:17 tells us that God not only hears our cry but listens to our desire when we are down and out and encourages us.
We often listen to Dr. Charles Stanley on television. We also have read several of his books. He has given us a list of ten attributes of God that make Him our great encourager. They are:
• Merciful: God feels compassion for us and is our Father of mercies.
• Omnipresent: We are never out of God’s reach. In times of loneliness and rejection, we are not alone.
• Omnipotent: Our Lord has all power and governs everything so He can handle with ease any problem we may face.
• Omniscient: God possesses all knowledge. He has all wisdom to handle our every situation. He is able to give perfect guidance.
• Gracious: We do not deserve His grace and he knows we are not perfect. He graciously disciplines and corrects us so we will not continue on a path that could ruin our lives.
• Patient: God is willing to wait until we are ready to obey Him. His goal is to give us spiritual growth.
• Wise: The Lord’s judgments are unsearchable and His ways are unfathomable. He knows the future and what is best for us and will guide us day by day one step at a time. God sees the big picture, we do not.
• Faithful: Even if we are faithless, He remains faithful. What He promises He will do. We may walk away from God but God does not walk away from us.
• Good: He is the giver of good things and He is the one that determines what is good. He allows trials because He uses them to change us and then mold us to conform to Christ’s likeness.
• Unchanging: The God of the Old Testament is the same One we worship today. He is just as faithful to us as He was to Abraham.
God encourages us through His Word, through prayer, through songs of praise, through other believers and with His presence no matter where we are or what we are doing. Be encouraged. You are not alone. God is always by your side to lift you up and encourage your troubled heart.
Our memory verse for this week is found in I John 4:7.
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.
Thank You for the encouragement it is to know that You are the Almighty God who is all knowing, all powerful, ever present and faithful. Thank You for Your great mercy that has given me a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
These Family Devotional thoughts are written by Dr. Ken Phillips, Executive Director of America's Hunger
Solution, and his wife Dottie. Ken has had ministry positions
with The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, World Vision, Youth For Christ, World Opportunities International,
and World Bible Society. He also has consulted for more than 30 Christian ministries in management and stewardship
development. They have published a book called No Problems Only Situations that discusses the journey of their family.
Ken and Dottie have been married for 60 years, and have 6 children, 20 grandchildren, and 3 great grandchildren. Their
second book, TODAY'S WORD, includes 365 daily
devotionals and is now available for only $10.
Ken & Dottie Phillips
May we encourage you to send a DONATION to help:Deliver a box of food to feed a poor family for one week in the inner cities of America --- the poorest of the poor and/or to children and their families in a third world country. (we deliver food boxes to 20 third world countries.)
SPONSOR ONE BOX FOR ONLY $7.00
CLICK HERE TO MAKE A DONATION.
(All gifts are income tax deductible)